Delbert Mann’s classic Marty is getting a release by one of Movies In Focus favourite boutique home entertainment labels, Eureka Entertainment. The Ernest Borgnine/Betsy Blair drama hits shelves on 9 April 2018 and it comes with a host of special features (see below).
Here’s the press release with full details:
A beloved classic of American cinema, Delbert Mann’s Marty was the first ever recipient of the Palme d’Or at the 1955 Cannes Film Festival, as well as the winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture, one of only two films to ever win both organisations’ grand prizes (the second being Billy Wilder’s The Lost Weekend).
“I’ve been looking for a girl every Saturday night of my life,” says Marty Piletti (Ernest Borgnine, The Vikings, Violent Saturday). Yet, despite all his efforts, this 34-year old Bronx butcher remains as shy and uncomfortable around women today as on the day he was born. So when he meets Clara (Betsy Blair, Il Grido), a lonely schoolteacher who’s just as smitten with him as he is with her, Marty’s on top of the world. But not everyone around him shares his joy. And when his friends and family continually find fault with Clara, even Marty begins to question his newfound love… until he discovers, in an extraordinary way, the strength and courage to follow his heart.
Adapted from an earlier teleplay written by renowned screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky (Network), Eureka Classics is proud to present Marty in a special Dual Format edition, that includes the film on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. The Special Features include the aforementioned teleplay broadcast on NBC in 1953, also directed by Delbert Mann and starring Rod Steiger in the title role.
MARTY (Eureka Classics) New & Exclusive HD Trailer
The Special Features:
- 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD
- Uncompressed LPCM audio (on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- A new video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard
- Original trailer presented by Burt Lancaster
- Marty (1953) – The original teleplay broadcast on NBC in 1953, also directed by Delbert Mann and starring Rod Steiger in the title role
- Archival interviews with Delbert Mann and the cast of the original teleplay (Rod Steiger, Nancy Marchand and Betsy Palmer)
Available to order from: